The Canadian Marine Industry Foundation (CMIF) was established in mid-2019 to help address workforce development challenges in the commercial marine sector as well as in the public sector where similar needs for both shipboard and shore side personnel exist. The goal of the CMIF is to work with stakeholders and supporters in both the public and private sectors to achieve the following objectives:
- Industry strategy: to serve as a national forum to bring together key marine industry stakeholders across Canada to develop strategies to address workforce development needs and synergize efforts to attract talent and build a sustainable workforce.
- Labour market data: address the need for improved labour market data for the marine sector - workforce demographics, diversity, trends, skills and training gaps and metrics - to better identify labour market issues, identify opportunities and develop solutions.
- Career awareness: develop communication programs and campaigns that promote greater public awareness of careers in the private and public sectors of the marine industry for young people, under-represented minorities, second career seekers and new citizens.
- Informational pathway: serve as a resource centre for information on careers at sea and ashore; information on scholarships and bursaries available to support maritime studies at nautical schools and academic institutions; and as a point of contact to direct educational, mentoring and employment inquiries to appropriate channels;
- Government support: promote the development of government policies, programs and regulations that support recruitment and skills development in the marine sector.
The Executive Director implements the vision and mandate of the CMIF as approved by the membership. The Executive Director is the chief executive officer, providing leadership in identifying priorities and objectives, directing staff, overseeing program delivery, supporting committees and ensuring the CMIF’s financial and organizational viability. The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by CMIF Board of Directors.POSITION SCOPE
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the candidate will:
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Develop and implement strategic and business plans for the organization based on vision, objectives and strategies approved by the Board;
- Grow the membership of the organization; oversee fundraising efforts including sponsorship, grants and contributions.
- Develop and administer services and programs that broaden awareness of careers opportunities in the marine sector.
- Build strong working relationships with government departments and agencies.
- Develop cooperative arrangements with private sector organizations and associations to achieve common objectives.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization.
- Promote the development of government policies, programs and regulations that support recruitment and skills development in the marine sector.
- Provide advice and direction to youth on career opportunities in the marine transportation sector and skills development resources through the CMIF’s Youth Forum.
- Identify staffing and recruiting needs for the organization; direct activities, motivate and evaluate performance of personnel and contractors;
- Develop and implement annual operating budget for the organization; administer and protect the financial interests of the organization.
- Ensure the CMIF operates within applicable laws and regulations and conducts the business of the organization to the highest ethical and moral standards.
The ideal candidate has led a small team or start-up, with experience in building a team, project management, communications, developing strong relationships with stakeholders and knowledge of the marine sector, human resource management and fundraising.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Results oriented; ability to make informed decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and experience in communications and public relations.
- Experience in workforce development related matters with knowledge of current human resource issues.
- Knowledge of government, regulatory affairs and policy development.
- Knowledge of the marine industry - latest trends, issues and opportunities.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize tasks and a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to build solid relationships with internal staff, external stakeholders, public agencies and other partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingualism would be considered an asset.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
This is a full time, salaried position. CMIF offers a competitive salary, employee performance incentive program and comprehensive benefits package. Interested and qualified candidates may apply by sending their resume to Alyssa.email@example.com before 24th May 2022
. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.